Employees and independent contractors are a business’ greatest assets and can be its biggest liabilities. Hiring, retaining, and terminating employees and independent contractors is a big deal. So is creating and implementing effective, legally compliant workplace policies that fit your culture and don’t stifle productivity or dampen morale.
Legal issues arise at every stage of employment and in independent contractor relationships. Knowing your rights and obligations under the law and responding to them quickly and accurately is critical to your success. Don’t go it alone!
Davis Law can help you:
- Negotiate executive, employment, personal services, secondment, talent, and severance agreements;
- Negotiate union collective bargaining agreements;
- Negotiate independent contractor, master services, and other contracts;
- Review I-9 Employment Verification processes and audit forms to ensure compliance;
- Set up e-verify accounts to check employment eligibility;
- Help determine which positions should be paid by the hour and receive overtime pay and which ones can be salaried;
- Determine whether workers are properly classified as employees and independent contractors;
- Create, review, and revise employee handbooks and corporate policies and protocols;
- Establish, internal investigation processes;
- Conduct internal investigations into harassment, discrimination and corporate misconduct;
- Provide training on labor and employment laws;
- Help you navigate the Affordable Care Act (“Obamacare”);
- Help you assess and administer different types of leave (e.g. vacation, sick leave, family medical leave, pregnancy leave);
- Help you address pay issues related to leave, termination, promotions, furloughs, etc.
- Help you establish and administer retirement plans and deferred compensation plans for executives;
- Structure and manage implementation of employee buyouts, corporate layoffs, restructuring and business closures;
- Resolve issues mediation, arbitration, settlement discussions and before government agencies like the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, Department of Human Rights, Department of Labor and the National Labor Relations Board; and
- Manage litigation;
Why Davis Law?
For nearly 20 years, Beverly Davis has used her extensive knowledge of labor and employment law to help leaders of Fortune 500 companies, government agencies, non-profit organizations and small businesses successfully address a broad range of domestic and international workplace issues. Her intimate understanding of the impact of labor and employment issues on business decisions and finances makes her a valuable partner to management at all levels.
Beverly brings her experience as in-house counsel to bear on each case. This means that she not only addresses the immediate issue, but also helps leaders “see the field” and assess potential sub-issues that may impact strategic decisions. Now that’s a business partner!